Volunteer MCEC Council Member
The Executive Council shall serve as a catalyst in shaping the identity and purpose of MCEC; overseeing the ministry and promotion the vision held in the MCEC Statement of Identity and Purpose - Extending the Peace of Jesus Christ - making disciples - growing congregations - forming leaders.
Membership - Nine elected persons. Four elected to three year terms to Executive Committee. Five elected to three year terms.
- Cultivate a culture of collaboration by which gifts for ministry are nurtured and released through the congregations of MCEC.
- Provide a place of support and resource for the Executive Minister.
- Set the philosophical direction for the development of policies, procedures and the annual spending plan.
- Serve as the leading body of five collaborating Councils to coordinate the ministries of MCEC.
- Listen to ministry resource needs in areas such as stewardship, peace and justice, youth, young adults, leadership development, worship, education and mission and work with the Councils to develop ministry resources in response to identified needs.
- Provide a process for theological discernment and biblical reflection on matters of significance within MCEC.
- Hire the Executive Minister and approve the hiring of all staff in consultation with the respective Councils.
- Approve an annual spending plan upon recommendation of the Administrative and Financial Services Council and present the plan at the Annual Conference Session for approval.
- Be responsible for decision making between annual conference sessions. Such actions shall be confirmed by the annual meeting.
- Call the Annual Conference Session (usually the 4th weekend in April), a fall meeting every two years and other special meetings as may be needed.
- Schedule an annual day (usually the last Saturday in November) when all the Councils will gather to collaborate on ministry initiatives.
- Appoint ad hoc committees and reference groups as may be needed.
- Serve as a connecting link with other area churches, Mennonite Church Canada and denominational boards, ecumenical bodies, government bodies and other organizations as may be deemed necessary.
- See that all necessary books and records of MCEC required by the By-laws or by any applicable statue or law are regularly maintained and assure required annual corporate reporting.